Friday, February 24, 2012

Lighting Fixtures!

I went to Lowe's today just to look around. Is that normal for a 23 year old girl? Just to go to Lowe's so see whats going down in hardware this week? I don't care if its not. I LOVE hardware stores. You always need something. Turns out that today that was true. I went into the lighting section and found a really cute vanity light for $12. Say what? $12? Yes, please. Whose your bargain shopper?
Here is the old one in the bathroom above the medicine cabinet:


Ew. It was all rusted on the outside edges, and it was starting to gross me out. I've wanted to replace it for a while, but when I happened to remember to look for them online or at Walmart they were always so damn expensive. Also, I figured I would electrocute myself when I tried to put it up. 

Here is the new one!!!




Woop Woop! It looks awesome! It was also super easy to install. 
Step one: FLIP THE BREAKER TO YOUR WHOLE HOUSE!!!! I didn't know if I could just flip the switch to the bathroom and be safe, so I looked on the internet. When I couldn't find anything, I read the directions that came with the fixture. It said you MIGHT be safe if you flip the switch for the one room, but bad things can still happen. It suggested turning off the power to the whole house. So, I decided that having to reset all the digital clocks in the house was more fun than being fried by some wires. Safety first.
Step Two: Take down the old fixture. Mine was up there with just a few screws. I had to pry it off the wall a little because the edges were sealed on there from when the room was painted. 
Step Three: Follow the directions. Yep. Pretty simple. To put mine up, all I had to do was connect the black wire from the fixture to the black wire coming out of the wall. Then do the same with a white wire. It was like paint by numbers....except no paint...and more electricity.. It comes with those little caps to put over them so they stay together, you want to make sure those go on there nice and tight too.
Then you screw it to the wall. Then (if you have poor planning skills like I do) you walk around your house unscrewing light bulbs from lights you don't use because you forgot to buy the bulbs when you purchased said lighting fixture.
Then go flip the breaker back on and you are golden!!! This fixture is SO much better than the old one. Not only does it look better, but it is brighter than the sun. I wasn't expecting it when I flipped on the light switch and I was blind for about a minute.




No comments:

Post a Comment