Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lets talk about Salt Water

Summer is coming! And me being the Pinterest addict I am, I keep seeing all kinds of tutorials about "Beach Hair" where they use the expensive Salt Spray. This stuff is great, I used to use it when I had long hair because it gives you volume and gives your hair that texture you need for a good style. You know how a lot of styles require that non washed hair? Not gross unwashed hair, but the day after you took a shower kind. If that made sense... ANYWAY. The Salt Spray product you buy at the store is about $8-$10. Thats expensive for something you can just make at home. I've found recipes to make your own. Its just a spray bottle filled with warm water, a tablespoon of sea salt, 5 sprays of spray gel and a little bit of perfume. From everything I've read it works really well. But I found an easier way.

Salt water can be used for EVERYTHING. I had a horrific case of poison ivy last summer. When I say horrific, I truly mean it. I had it for almost two months and it was honestly the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I had it all over my me. From my toes to my hands. I tried everything. I probably spent $75 on all kinds of different products to get rid of it. Finally, one of my mom's hippie friends gave me a bottle of sea water. She told me all about how she swears by it and uses it for everything. I've heard of people using it on tattoos/piercings after they get them and it cleans it out and helps it heal. I sprayed this salt water all over the poison ivy bumps on my hands before I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning it was almost all gone. I literally sprayed it all over my body to get rid of the rest of it and it worked like a charm. After about three days, I was poison ivy free!  Since then I am a hippie believer in the salt water cure all. I use it on my face when its breaking out, I put it on sun burns, scrapes/cuts. I  even spray it in my dogs mouth to help get ride of his garbage breath.

Getting back to the original point..An easier (and almost free) way to make beach hair - Grab a water bottle filled of salt water the next time you're at the beach. Before you go to bed French braid your  hair when its dry. I put mine in two, but its up to you how waivy you want your hair. Poke a hole in the cover of your water bottle so you make a little squirt bottle type deal (or you could buy an empty spray bottle, but I'm kindof a cheap skate). Squirt the salt water all over your hair. You don't have to soak it, but just make it damp enough so it will come out waivy when it dries. After you get it damp, spritz some hair spray over it. I used Aussie Flexible Hold (I swear by it). Go to sleep, when you wake up take out the braids. Voila! Waivy hair that has piecey texture and looks like you have gorgeous waivy summer hair!!




Then, after you've had it in for a while and it starts to lose its volume. You can throw in a poof and a side pony tail and it looks just as awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment