Sunday, December 9, 2012

I'm a little bit country, I'm a little bit.....Grandma's couch?

I raided the furniture at the Goodwill Warehouse about a week ago again. When you can buy something perfect for .99 cents....why not? This one took a little bit longer than the others and was a pain in my big ol' ass. I took a Before picture, but I can't seem to find it on my phone. Oops.
To give you an idea of what it looked like before, it was light colored wood with just a gloss over it. The top had a design with that wood vaneer crap so it looked like the wood grain was going in different directions. It looked like it had been in a basement or garage because the vaneer had started to bubble. When I sanded it down it wasnt helping so I just ripped it off and sanded the wood underneath.

I started with sanding this whole thing. You will see why it was such a pain to paint and sand in the pictures below. With all the ridges in the legs I couldn't use the palm sander or block sander anywhere but the top. I had to go at it with a single piece of sand paper so I could get in to all the nooks. It took three or four sittings to get this all done because my hand kept cramping, it was horrible. Painting it was just as bad. Ugh. Totally worth it....but what a NIGHTMARE.

I decided to go a little fancier on this one than I do most of the time. Mr. SP&NP has been spreading out my Christmas presents over the whole month, which is frigging awesome. He knows I like crafts so he bought me a craft book (The Big Ass Book of Crafts by Mark Montano) for some ideas and as I decide which ones I want to do, he will get me a few of the supplies. In the book the author uses fun fabrics instead of paint to cover tables. I thought that was a good idea, but didn't want to spend a bunch of money on enough fabric to use on only one table. I went to AC Moore with, again, Mr. SP&NP where he got me a big ol' book of scrapbooking cardstock. The bigger ones are a little more expenisve ($19.99 comes with 48 sheets) but there is enough paper in there to do countless things with. I also bought myself a smaller book ($8.99) for smaller projects.

These are the ones I got:




So after I sanded down and painted the first coat on to the table it looked like this:




Blurry, I know.Not sure why. But I hope you enjoy my Spongebob drop cloth.


For the top of it, I chose similar paper from the book. This is where the Grandma's couch part comes in, but I really like it. To get the top pieces just right it took a very long time to get them all lined up perfectly so I could mark where to cut and glue them on.



There is a little ridge that goes around the top of the table. To mark where to cut I just took my finger and pressed all along where the paper would hit the side. This is thick paper so you have to use some pressure to make the indintations, but way better than marking with a pencil. To avoid confusion after I took them off the table to cut, I did mark the back of the paper as well as the table so I would know where each piece went.

Next I cut along the lines I had made, glued the back and then stuck them on. I am not going to lie to you using anything but spray adhesive here is maddness. Don't do it. I thought I would just use up the rest of my school glue and do it. Bad idea. From the wetness of the glue it made the paper curl so it was additionally diffiult to line up the paper.


Here is what the top looks like all finished!!!



I plan on using this one for more than just a plant stand because I REALLY like the way it came out.For the top I'm going to find a really heavy duty clear coat to put on the top. Because I really like it, I would probably freak out if something got spilled on it, so I will stop that from happening now and spend a little extra to coat it.  I thnk I'm going to put framed pictures or something on it. Not really sure, but its going somewhere people will see it because I'm proud of it!!













No comments:

Post a Comment